Monday, October 25, 2010

Airline Experience: ChinaEastern (MU)

I consider myself pretty well traveled, at least within the last 3 or 4 years. For me, the journey of getting to my destination is just as important as the destination. I actually enjoy getting on a plane. Believe it or not, I get a 'high' every time the plane takes off the run way. If I don't fly somewhere every 3-5 months, I'll get withdrawal symptoms. Okay, I digress...

Every airline has its ups and downs service wise, and also pros and cons in terms of its hard product (aircraft configuration, in-flight service, route, schedule, etc...). However, there's one airline I vow to never fly again, ChinaEastern (MU), due to the following reasons:

1) Seat configuration in Economy/Coach Class is ridiculously tight. They sure want to pack in as many passengers as they possibly can without violating laws and regulations. Both tray space and leg room are the worst I've ever experienced, even worse than Air China.



2) In-flight meals are terrible. I wish I've brought my own Nong Shim cup noodle on to the flight. In fact, I saw people taking it out of their backpack and eating it. Just ask the FA for some hot water. It's 1000 times better than their garbage fried rice and chow mien.

3) No entertainment system or in-seat power on long-haul flights. Imaging going from JFK-PVG, 15 hours in the air with out AVOD or power? Lord have mercy. It's tough, my laptop can only hold out for 5 hours max. And did I mention the sears are extremely uncomfortable, good luck of trying to get any sleep in it. 

4) Rude staff and not exactly nice fellow passengers. Maybe the airfare is usually cheaper and generally sold through asian or more specifically chinese travel agencies, MU flights tend to be fully loaded. You have too many passengers lacking basic flyer etiquette. They have too many (or too big of) carry-ons, they don't sit in their assigned seats, they speak like they're shouting, they block the aisle, etc... Flight attendants get frustrated over a few ill-mannered passengers, and this ruins things for everybody.

Usually, Asian airlines offer a much better product and services than the U.S. carriers. Singapore Airline, Cathay, Thai, and Korean are consistently rated as the best in the industry. But I will avoid carriers of Mainland China like the plague if you are flying coach due to lack of seat comfort, inedible meals, poor if not nonexistent entertainment systems (AVOD), and rude staff/novice fellow passengers. However, if the $ difference in airfare justifies your decision to fly with them, by all means go with it and experience it for yourself. To me, my personal comfort is worth no less than $200 on a 15 hour flight even if I need to connect somewhere. And considering I can earn better rewards with the other airlines, I just do not see myself on another MU flight for a long while. Sure MU has its own FFM program, but it ain't worth bothering given my travel pattern. Unless they have a mistake fare like JFK-PVG for $99, then maybe, just maybe, I'll bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment